- Environmental Manual
- About EMS/ISO14001
- EMS Management Representative
- Sustainability Policy
- Significant Environmental Aspects
- Legal & Other Requirements
- Objectives & Targets
- Environmental Training Programs
- Internal Review Schedule
- Compliance Inspection Schedule
- Checking & Corrective Action
- Management Review
- Recycling Information
Missouri University of Science and Technology (Missouri S&T) is committed to leading and demonstrating sustainable practices in our educational mission. By balancing the environmental, economic, and social dimensions of sustainability in our daily operations, we provide a model to our students and society. Sustainability requires the collective actions of the Missouri S&T community, and this policy provides a clear, unifying vision of our commitment.
- Leadership: Be a national leader and model for sustainability among technological research universities while promoting an inclusive, healthy, diverse, and safe campus community.
- Education and Outreach: Educate for environmentally, socially, and economically responsible citizenship both on campus and through community outreach opportunities.
- Research: Conduct innovative energy and environmental research while seeking collaborative partnerships with operations staff, public entities, government agencies, community organizations, and private industry.
- Campus Operations: Operate with the lowest possible impact on the environment by reducing greenhouse gas emissions, minimizing waste, and optimizing energy efficiency.
- Transparency: Demonstrate transparency of our sustainability practices through public reporting.
Missouri S&T will:
- Create an institutional culture of sustainability by incorporating sustainability principles into the campus strategic plan and by raising awareness among faculty, staff and students;
- Provide education and active demonstration of sustainable practice to faculty, staff, students and members of surrounding communities;
- Use the Missouri S&T Environmental Management System (EMS) as a guide for continual improvement and compliance with regulations and university policy to meet sustainability goals;
- Follow the guidelines of the American College & University Presidents’ Climate Commitment (ACUPCC) to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases;
- Continually improve environmental stewardship with respect to materials, water and energy use;
- Demonstrate transparency through publication of the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education Sustainability Tracking, Assessment, and Rating System (AASHE STARS) internal evaluation final report, certification of our EMS by an external ISO 14001 registrar, and participation in ACUPCC; and
- Develop 5-year sustainability goals that will be reviewed and reported annually. Goals will be published on the OSE3 homepage: http://ose3.mst.edu/
Missouri S&T is committed to stewardship of our collective resources while integrating sustainability in education and research to create and convey knowledge for ourstakeholders. This Sustainability Policy provides a firm foundation for setting our sustainability objectives and targets which in turn will be evident in our daily activities.
Sustainability at Missouri S&T
An integrated approach that weighs the social, environmental, and economic consequences of strategic decisions will lead to the sustainable growth of our institution. As we evaluate strategic opportunities, we should consider these three questions:
- Is is good for our people?
- Is it good for our planet?
- Is it good for the economic viability of our university?
EFFECTIVE DATE: Immediately
RESPONSIBILITY: All Missouri S&T Employees
BASIS: Environmental Management System and ISO 14001 Registration, AASHE STARS, ACUPCC
Cheryl B. Schrader, Ph.D